BOONTON Bishop Serratelli made a pastoral visit to Our Lady of Mount Carmel Parish here Feb. 27 where he celebrated the vigil Mass Saturday evening to mark the Third Sunday of Lent.
The parish history began when St. Vincent Martyr Parish in Madison developed a Mass station in Boonton in the early 1800s and a frame church was built on Birch Street in 1847. Bishop Bayley sent a resident pastor to Boonton in 1860, and the same year a new church was built across the street from the old church, which was dismantled and moved to Hibernia, where it became a mission of Boonton. The church was substantially enlarged and renovated in 1964. The parish school was opened in 1868.