In accord with the norms of canon law,
the Presbyteral Council acts as a Senate of the bishop
assisting him in the governance of the diocese
so that the pastoral welfare of the
people of God may be more effectively achieved.
Consultation with the Presbyteral Council is at the discretion of the diocesan bishop. The Presbyteral Council is comprised of the bishop and priests, mostly diocesan, but also some religious priests, of the Diocese of Paterson.
- To share in the principal concerns of the presbyterate;
- To effectively represent the mind of the presbyterate to the Council;
- To remain in close contact with those who elected him and be accountable to them;
- To keep those who elected him informed of the activities of the Council;
- To actively engage in one or more of the working committees of the Council; and
- To work in collaboration and cooperation with the local Dean.