Bishop marks Feast of the Baptism of the Lord at Mass in St. James of the Marches Parish in Totowa
TOTOWA Marking the Baptism of the Lord Jan. 11, Bishop Serratelli made a pastoral visit to celebrate the feast with parishioners of St. James of the Marches Parish here. During the Mass, there was a large presence of children, who were part of the parish’s religious education program and students of St. Francis Academy, next to the church.
The history of St. James began when Catholics in Totowa organized in 1924, with the assistance of the Franciscans of St. Bonaventure Parish, Paterson.
n 1926, they outfitted a hall on Grant Avenue and Church Street for Masses.
A permanent church was built in 1928 on Totowa Road. In 1945, the mission was advanced to parish status and entrusted to diocesan clergy. A new church was built in 1955.