HIGHLAND LAKES Bishop Serratelli made a pastoral visit to Our Lady of Fatima Church here April 12 and marked the Second Sunday of Easter, which is also Divine Mercy Sunday. During his celebration of Mass there, the bishop also administered the Sacrament of Confirmation to the young people of the parish.
The history of Our Lady of Fatima Parish began when St. Monica Parish in Sussex developed a summer mission in Vernon Township in the Highland Lakes section in 1949 with Masses celebrated at the Highland Lakes clubhouse. A church was built on Breakneck Road in 1954 and Bishop Navagh formally established Our Lady of Fatima as a parish in 1965. The parish also took over responsibility for the mission at McAfee in Vernon Township, now St. Frances De Sales Parish.