PASSAIC Bishop Serratelli made a pastoral visit to Our Lady of Mount Carmel (OLMC) Church here March 1, where he celebrated Mass to mark the Second Sunday of Lent. Every first Sunday of the month, the 10:30 a.m. Mass at OLMC parish is designated as a Family Mass bringing parents and children together to pray and worship. Children participate in the Mass as lectors, ushers and gift bearers. Following the Mass, there is a special reception with light refreshments so the families can gather together and socialize.
OLMC’s history began when Bishop O’Connor sent a priest to care for the Italian Catholics in Passaic in 1905, and a small chapel was opened on Park Place. In 1912 a firehouse was purchased on McLean Street and renovated as a church. The parish was entrusted to the Capuchin Friars in 1922, who still administer the parish to this day. The present church was built in 1924. Today the parish serves more than 200 families.