PATERSON Bishop Serratelli made a pastoral visit to Our Lady of Pompeii here where he celebrated Mass for the Fourth Sunday of Lent, also known as Laetare Sunday, on March 15. The Latin word “laetare” translates to “rejoice” and the celebration signifies the days of Lent are soon over and the joy of Easter and the Resurrection is within sight. During the bishop’s pastoral visit, three young people from the parish also received the Sacrament of Confirmation during the Mass.
According to the parish’s history, St. Michael’s, Paterson, was responsible for the establishment of this Italian national parish in the Stony Road section of Paterson. Our Lady of Pompeii Church on Caldwell Avenue was opened in 1916 and a new church was built in 1963.