PATERSON Bishop Serratelli made a pastoral visit to St. Bonaventure Parish here March 22 to celebrate Mass for the Fifth Sunday of Lent. During his visit, the bishop also administered the Sacrament of Confirmation to young people of the parish.
St. Bonaventure’s history began when the Franciscan friars came to Paterson from Germany in 1876 and were given an abandoned Carmelite monastery built the previous year in the Stony Road section of Paterson. Bishop Corrigan advanced the church to parish status in 1877. The church, on Ramsey Street and Danforth Avenue, was competed in 1880.