PASSAIC Bishop Serratelli made a pastoral visit to St. Joseph Church here Feb. 14. During his visit, he celebrated the vigil Mass for the Sixth Sunday in Ordinary Time and administered the Sacrament of Confirmation to young people of the parish.
St. Joseph’s is the mother church of the Polish parishes in the diocese. It was organized in Passaic in 1892. A frame building was purchase on Quincy Street but the parish grew so quickly that a new church was built on Monroe and Parker Streets in 1901. St. Joseph’s was instrumental in the founding of new Polish parishes in Passaic, Garfield and Clifton.