January 22, 2015
St. Joseph’s got its start in 1867 as a mission of St. John’s when a chapel and academy were opened on Broadway near East 18th Street. Bishop Corrigan advanced the mission to parish status in 1875.
In 1876, a combination church and school were built on Market Street west of Carroll. A church, built in 1888, was substantially destroyed in the Great Fire of 1902, and was rebuilt in 1904.
St. Joseph’s was responsible for the development of St. Therese Parish.